Keto Tiramisu with Amaretti Cookies
Keto tiramisu has been on my list to make for quite a while but I wanted to make sure the replacement for the lady finger cookies was similar or better. I decided to use my Low Carb Amaretti Cookies for this recipe as they are similar in texture to a lady finger but sugar free.
Growing up in an italian family I don't remember having tiramisu very often. I guess it wasn't something my mom enjoyed making. It wasn't until my late 20's when I moved to Toronto and enjoyed tiramisu from local italian bakeries.
This recipe is fairly simple to make and and doesn't require many ingredients.
Keto Tiramisu Recipe
- Low Carb Amaretti Cookies (recipe here)
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp of erythritol sweetener
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Mascarpone (room temperature)
- 1 cup strong espresso coffee
- Cocoa Powder for dusting
- In a double boiler over medium heat whisk the 4 egg yolks and sweetener, keep whisking for about 8-10 minutes until mixture is creamy and smooth. Once smooth take off the heat and allow it to cool. Don't worry if it clumps up, we will smooth it out.
- In a mixer whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form
- Combine the mascarpone with the egg/sweetener mixture. Using a spatula combine until smooth.
- Fold in the whipped cream, try not to flatten the cream, instead fold in from the centre and out to the edges of the bowl. (see video).
- I used 4oz glasses to make 6 individual portions.
- Dunk an amaretti cookie into the coffee, let it swim for 10 seconds and then take out
- Drop the cookie to the bottom of the glass then top with cream mixture
- Dunk another cookie into the coffee, let it swim for 10 seconds and then drop it into the glass and top with more cream mixture.
- Dust with cacao powder
- I covered each portion with press n seal but you can use plastic wrap as well.
Store in the fridge for 24 hours to allow the cookies to soften up and the flavours to mingle. 48 hours would be best.
If you want to use a glass dish instead, layer the dunked amaretti cookies in the bottom of the dish, layer with cream mixture, another layer of dunked cookies and a layer of cream mixture, then dust with cacao powder.
More recipes can be found here
Don't forget to check out our Diabetes Awareness Apparel